Slag Cement Testing
Testing services for your products and materials
What is Slag Cement?
Slag cement is a type of cement that is made from granulated blast furnace slag – a by-product of the iron and steelmaking process. It is a glassy, amorphous material that is ground into a fine powder.
Slag cement is a hydraulic cement, which means that it sets and hardens when it comes into contact with water. It is a pozzolanic cement, which means that it reacts with lime to form cementitious compounds. This reaction produces a strong, durable concrete.
Slag cement is used in a variety of concrete applications, including:
- High-performance concrete: Slag cement can be used to make high-performance concrete, which is concrete that has been designed to have high strength, durability, and resistance to chemical attack.
- Mass concrete: Slag cement can be used to make mass concrete, which is concrete that is used for large, heavy structures, such as dams and bridges.
- Precast concrete: Slag cement can be used to make precast concrete, which is concrete that is cast in a factory and then transported to the construction site.
Slag cement is a sustainable material that can help to reduce the environmental impact of concrete production. It is a by-product of the iron and steelmaking process, which means that it does not require the mining of raw materials or the use of fossil fuels.
Here are some of the benefits of using slag cement:
- Reduces the amount of cement needed: Slag cement can be used to replace up to 70% of the cement in concrete. This can save money and reduce the environmental impact of concrete production.
- Improves the strength of concrete: Slag cement can improve the compressive strength of concrete by up to 20%. This is especially beneficial for high-performance concrete applications, such as bridges and high-rise buildings.
- Improves the durability of concrete: Slag cement can improve the resistance of concrete to cracking, spalling, and corrosion. This is important for concrete that will be exposed to harsh environments, such as marine environments or areas with extreme weather conditions.
- Reduces the cost of concrete production: Slag cement is typically less expensive than Portland cement. This can save money on concrete production.
What is Slag Cement Testing?
Slag cement testing is a process of evaluating the quality of slag cement to ensure that it meets the requirements for use in concrete. The tests are typically performed by a third-party testing agency, and the results are used to verify that the slag cement is safe and effective for use in concrete.
There are a variety of tests that can be performed on slag cement, including:
- Physical properties: These tests measure the physical properties of slag cement, such as its particle size, specific gravity, and chemical composition.
- Chemical properties: These tests measure the chemical properties of slag cement, such as its pozzolanic activity and potential for alkali-silica reaction.
- Performance tests: These tests measure the performance of slag cement in concrete, such as its compressive strength, tensile strength, and durability.
The specific tests that are performed on slag cement will vary depending on the intended use of the slag cement. For example, slag cement that will be used to make high-performance concrete will need to be tested for its physical and chemical properties, as well as its performance in concrete.
Slag cement testing is an important part of ensuring the quality and safety of slag cement. By performing these tests, manufacturers can help to ensure that their slag cement meets the required standards and that it is safe and effective for use in concrete.
Here are some of the benefits of slag cement testing:
- Improved quality: Slag cement testing can help to identify and correct any defects in the slag cement before it is used in concrete. This can help to improve the overall quality and durability of the concrete.
- Increased safety: Slag cement testing can help to ensure that the slag cement is safe to use in concrete. This can help to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Reduced costs: Slag cement testing can help to identify and correct any problems with the slag cement early on. This can help to reduce the cost of repairs and replacements.
Slag Cement Testing Standards
Standards and acceptance criteria related to slag cement testing:
- ASTM C441 – Effectiveness of Pozzolans or Ground Blast-Furnace Slag in Preventing Excessive Expansion of Concrete Due to the Alkali-Silica Reaction
- ASTM C989 – Spec for Slag Cement for Use in Concrete and Mortars
- ASTM C1073 – Hydraulic Activity of Slag Cement by Reaction with Alkali
More Information on Slag Cement Testing
Please contact us for technical details and pricing.